Boating can be one of the most enjoyable activities in Florida. However, what is your recourse if you or a loved one is hurt due to a negligent boating accident? Our team of experienced attorneys can help you receive compensation from a negligent boater to assist with medical bills or property damage. Here are the most common types of boating injuries, what you should do if you or a loved one was hurt while boating, and forms of legal restitution.
The National Institute of Health (NIH) provides a list of common types of boating injuries and what causes the injuries.
1. Drowning - It is possible for an individual to owe you or a family member a level of reasonable care. Tragically, if your family member is unable to swim and negligently falls into the water and drowns you may have a wrongful death case. Our attorneys can help review your case and take the burden off of you during this tragic time.
2. Brain Injuries –
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning - If a boat is running the engine while docked or idling, an individual can experience carbon monoxide poisoning causing brain injuries.
- Oxygen Deprivation - Brain injuries can also occur from oxygen deprivation from being underwater for an extended period of time.
- Boating Collision - a boating collision can cause brain injuries from a severe impact.
3. Spinal Cord Injuries –
- Spinal Injuries From Collision – A boating collision's impact can cause a spinal cord injury.
- Spinal Compression – When a boat bounces on waves or another boat's wake, a disk hernia can occur.
4. Lacerations – If an individual is too close to a propeller and a driver is not paying attention, the blades can cause deep lacerations or loss or a limb. If the driver negligently fails to see the individual or is negligently operating his or her boat, you may have a case against the driver.
5. Whiplash – If another driver is operating their vessel in a reckless manner this could cause passengers to experience a neck injury as a result of a sudden neck movement in a traumatic manner.
6. Electrocution – Negligence can occur if a boat owner fails to provide proper maintenance to their vessel which results in standing water causing individuals to be electrocuted. Electrocution can cause individuals to experience heart fibrillation or electrical burns
These injuries can occur in various capacities including the following:
Boating accidents can occur due to various reasons. The NIH finds that the most common reason boating injuries occur are the following:
A boating injury case will look at whether there was negligence. Specifically, we will look to see whether the driver or another individual involved in the boating accident failed to behave with the level of care that an ordinary driver would have had under similar circumstances. We will also explore whether an individual failed to act when there was a duty to act. Specifically, our team of attorneys will review the details of your accident to see whether the other person's behavior lacked reasonable care and there was a foreseeable likelihood that his or her conduct would result in harm.
We will review the following criteria before pursuing a legal case:
When you go out boating, we hope you have a safe and enjoyable experience! If you do suffer an injury, contact our office – we can help! Contact us right away to discuss your case.
Met with Robert after I had a car accident in Pembroke Pines. Very nice man. Nice staff who answered my questions and got a good settlement.
Great lawyers, great attention to detail, great trial strategies. I am a trial consultant who has worked with the top attorneys in the United States. NKP are the best of the best.
Amy Singer, Ph.D, Trial Consultant
Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA handled my case against Uber for me and got me a great settlement after I was involved in an accident. They handled all of the negotiations with my doctors and with the other lawyers to get me the best deal possible. I definitely recommend their services!
Daniella Di Prizio
Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA handles a variety of personal-injury cases. We understand that you are concerned about getting healthy, getting back to work, paying your bills and of course, being fully compensated for your loss. Contact us to start the path to wholeness from your injury today.Get Consultation
All Consultations Are Free of Charge
While we are proud to call Miami and Aventura home, we are also more than happy to help injured people living anywhere in the Sunshine State. In fact, we’ve even been known to travel all around the country just to meet our clients’ needs.
We are here to help the residents of:
The good news is that you can still win your personal injury case with a pre-existing injury, but it might be a little more complicated. If you were injured in an incident where another party is at fault, such as a car accident, a slip-and-fall accident, or a case of medical malpractice, you deserve compensation for your injuries.
August 14, 2021
Boating can be one of the most enjoyable activities in Florida. However, what is your recourse if you or a loved one is hurt due to a negligent boating accident? Our team of experienced attorneys can help you receive compensation from a negligent boater to assist with medical bills or property damage. Here are the most common types of boating injuries, what
June 8, 2021
It's incredibly disappointing to find out that a major purchase like a car has a substantial flaw or defect. When that flaw or defect impacts the mechanical function of the vehicle, it can be a lot more than disappointing — it can be deadly. Product liability and lemon law are two areas of the law that help protect consumers from manufacturing issues that re
May 20, 2021
Car accidents can be difficult situations to endure. In many circumstances, these accidents often bring about physical and mental trauma. In fact, motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) in the general population.
April 8, 2021
When you sustain injuries due to someone else's negligence, it triggers a number of legal rights. You have a right to recover damages from the person who negligently injured you.
March 2, 2021
The internet is filled with suggestions on what to do if you were hit by a car. Are there things you should avoid doing after a pedestrian accident, though? Here are the 7 things you should NOT do if you were hit by a car.
February 9, 2021