Contact An Actual Attorney
- Seek medical attention – preferably on the same day as the accident. This does two things: first, all the medical statistics show that the sooner you seek medical help after an injury, the more likely you are to make a quick and fuller recovery. Second, documenting your injuries is incredibly important to a slip and fall attorney. Failing to seek medical attention right away sends a signal to the insurance company or the corporation’s adjuster that your injuries are not that bad.
- Fill out an incident report with a manager (if possible). If an ambulance took you to the emergency room and you did not get a chance to report the accident – call the business as soon as possible. Give just the very basic facts (i.e. I fell on your property at this day/time and I am now at the hospital or seeking treatment, and will call back later with more details.). Get the name of the person/manager who took your report.
- Have someone else take photos of the defect. Pictures are incredibly important because property defects can be remedied shortly after it causes your trip-and-fall injury. Use different angles. If, for example, you tripped and fell on an uneven raise in the sidewalk, take the photo with a tape-measure or ruler showing the disparity (this will allow us to quickly research whether or not the height difference violates any building codes). If you slipped and fell on a puddle of water in a Publix, take photos of the water. If you see that the water is coming from a leaky freezer, take pictures of that as well. If you fell down in a stairwell with no railings, photograph that defective condition before the new railings are installed!
- Later you should photograph your injuries, if possible.
- Witnesses are very important to verifying your side of the story. If you were with anyone, have them call the slip-and-fall lawyer as well to have them provide their version of the events that led to your injury.
- Somewhere between steps 1-4, call a trip-and-fall lawyer or slip-and-fall attorney as soon as possible. Our personal-injury law firm does not charge anything up front so you have nothing to lose. Certainly, do not sign anything offered to you until you first consult with a personal-injury attorney.