Losing a loved one is extremely difficult. The loss could be even more painful and confusing if it were avoidable. However, in some instances, Florida allows family members of deceased persons the right to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Those family members may be entitled to a monetary settlement.
A wrongful death case is where someone dies due to another person’s negligence, a careless act, or a breach of contract. In the event of wrongful death, the deceased person’s family or a personal representative can file a lawsuit against the party responsible for the death.
In Florida, the party suing must prove three things for a lawsuit to be viable. Those three items are:
1. Prove that the defendant had a “duty of care” to the deceased person, meaning they had an obligation to act responsibly (for example, following laws or rules).
2. Prove that the defendant breached their “duty of care” by breaking the rules or acting irresponsibly or carelessly.
3. Prove that the breach of “duty of care” resulted in the deceased person's death.
The steps to follow after someone you love has died in a wrongful death situation include:
• Contact a trusted attorney to hear your case. Many, like Neufeld Law Firm, offer free consultations where you can get honest feedback about your case.
• Your attorney will investigate the details of your case and provide you with a plan to proceed legally against the person who caused the death. In some cases, that will be an individual, but in others, it may be multiple defendants, including a company or organization responsible.
• Work with your attorney to provide information and follow all instructions for the most favorable outcome.
Met with Robert after I had a car accident in Pembroke Pines. Very nice man. Nice staff who answered my questions and got a good settlement.
Great lawyers, great attention to detail, great trial strategies. I am a trial consultant who has worked with the top attorneys in the United States. NKP are the best of the best.
Amy Singer, Ph.D, Trial Consultant
Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA handled my case against Uber for me and got me a great settlement after I was involved in an accident. They handled all of the negotiations with my doctors and with the other lawyers to get me the best deal possible. I definitely recommend their services!
Daniella Di Prizio
Neufeld, Kleinberg & Pinkiert, PA handles a variety of personal-injury cases. We understand that you are concerned about getting healthy, getting back to work, paying your bills and of course, being fully compensated for your loss. Contact us to start the path to wholeness from your injury today.Get Consultation
All Consultations Are Free of Charge
While we are proud to call Miami and Aventura home, we are also more than happy to help injured people living anywhere in the Sunshine State. In fact, we’ve even been known to travel all around the country just to meet our clients’ needs.
We are here to help the residents of: